Saturday, January 10, 2015

Final message to United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and Catholic Biblical Association

When reading my previous few blog posts, please keep in mind the words of St. Pope John Paul the Great and Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI.  I may have jumped the gun on some of my rash judgments.  I apologize to all Bishops, Priests, Deacons, scholars and seperated brethren who may have read my words and felt hurt by what I said.  I have prepared a final short paper, and this will be my final writing on this subject for a while, as I feel I can be writing about more important spiritual principles to the benefit of anyone who may read this.  Pray for me, dear brothers and sisters, to the Lord our God.

May God bless us all abundantly, bring us to His Kingdom, and forgive us our sins, through Christ our Lord, Amen.




After I had published my previous few topics, I was praying about the subject and I had a thought.  I thought that I may just be being presumptuous and jumping to conclusions and condemning things I don’t fully understand.  As previously stated, I am a young babe in Christ, and a young man, of only 26 years of age.  After prayer, thought, and researching the topic more thoroughly, as well as giving the introductions and notes of the NAB a thorough reading through, I’ve come to the conclusion that I used too strong of words and condemned all of the notes when they are not all bad.
After reading some works of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, I realized I needed to read the notes and intros with more thought and prayer than I previously was.  My conclusion is thus: the introductions are solid, but they are lacking in presenting a balanced view of tradition and historical critical theories.  Some of the introductions though, such as the intros to the Psalms, the books of Maccabees, Sirach, and many of the Minor Prophets, however, are entirely spot on, and in need of no revision.  So I now say, instead of needing a complete overhaul, the introductions simply need to be reviewed and revised.  Which, from what I’ve gleaned, is exactly what’s going to happen over the next decade while the Bishops, Priests, Deacons and scholars of the USCCB and CBA are finishing their most commendable and venerable work of translation the Sacred Scriptures.
The footnotes as well, it seems I have jumped the gun in outright condemning them, when they do not deserve outright condemnation.  The footnotes, I have found, are actually in a ratio of about 15 to 1.  What I mean is, for every 16 notes you read, 15 are good, either as they stand, or only in need of slight revision.  And 1 footnote is somewhat of a stinker, either worded in a way that needs to be read 5 times in a row to understand, or just scandalous in content.  So, the footnotes are still the most serious dent in the perfection of the NAB Bible.  The footnotes do need to be rolled back in certain situations, a few do need to be deleted outright, and many need revision.  However, the vast majority are good as they stand.
So my final conclusion is this –
The New American Bible, Revised Edition is a solid Bible, all around.  The USCCB and CBA should maybe take a look at the People of God and their suggestions, and also the New African Bible, and use that input to tamper and revise the introductions and footnotes, in order to change them from decent to great, to go from good to perfection.  The translation needs to be tweaked and revised, and brought into conformity with Liturgiam Authenticum and the current Lectionary.  I believe the revisers are already doing everything I have just concluded, so I think the best thing we can do as a unified voice of the American People of God is pray for our leadership and our scholars.  Pray for them to be guided by the Spirit of God.  Pray for St. Jerome, Fr. Martin, Bishop Challoner, Msgr. Knox, and other Holy men of God to pray for our scholars.  And after we pray for them, pray again.  Then pray some more.
Forgive me for my ignorance, forgive me for my presumptuousness, and forgive me for all my wrongdoings.  Forgive me for what I have said, what I have done, what I have thought, which has been sinful, wrong or scandalous.  Forgive me for what I have failed to say, failed to do, or failed to think, which has led to sinfulness, error or scandal.
And most importantly, dear brothers and sisters, pray for me to the Lord our God.
+Sincerely yours,
With Love and Peace in Christ Jesus,
Jason Michael Prewara
IC XC NIKA+

No comments:

Post a Comment